Friday, August 24, 2007

Lean projects

So one of the big deals in healthcare (and probably other industries) is lean. I'm no expert but since Mark is the lean project honcho at work, I've learned a term or two.

Lean has to do with efficiency and eliminating waste--making fewer steps, getting rid of signatures that don't matter, decreasing inventories and so on.

Mark is continually telling me that I need lean in my life.

For my first project I threw out all the random containers of rubbermaid, tupperware, Gladware and Reynolds wear I've accumulated.

Now I have two sizes of Rubbermaid: Take Alongs Deep Squares and Take Along Small Deep Squares. They have the same size of lid and they stack in the fridge. No more dangerous cupboard with plastic lids spilling out.

For my next project I need to figure out a way to limit grocery store trips to once a week. Yesterday I went to Hyvee with a list and a plan to not return to any type of a grocery store for seven full days. That lasted until this morning when we spent an hour (or more) in Target.