Tonight at 5:24 p.m. the doorbell rang.
There on the doorstep stood two hot, sweaty and tired missionaries.
Me: "....Hi.... You're here for dinner?"
Elders: looking dazed
Me: "Remember when I called you yesterday to say that Mark couldn't be home tonight and asking if you wanted me to bring you take-out or just cancel?"
Smaller jr. elder: "right cancelled"
Me (still talking): "And you said you'd call me back and let me know...."
Elders: "Oh right. Sorry. Yesterday was crazy."
Me (still talking): "When I never heard from you..."
Elders: "We're fine."
Me: "Stay on the porch and let me get you some water."
Kids: running all around
Miriam: on my hip (hungry)
The missionaries stayed on the porch while I went in to get them tall glasses of ice water and furiously scan the fridge for quick dinners to eat on the porch.
They said they were fine, but honestly where else were they going to get food tonight?
I'm no Martha, but in about 25 minutes I whipped up some cut fruit salad (grapes, cantaloupe, apples), pretzels (from a bag), ham sandwiches, found a bottle of 7-Up and even threw some frozen chocolate chip cookie dough in the oven.
While the missionaries sat on the porch step eating, the kids snarfed special drink and I fed Miriam jarred chicken baby moosh.
That was about the easiest dinner I've ever made for the missionaries. And hey, they did eat it all (especially the cookies). Since elders won't come inside unless your husband is home, I didn't even have to worry about the mess.
Friday, August 22, 2008
Frozen cookie dough
Posted by
Amy
at
6:43 PM