This week Mark brought home the annual packet from work full of health plan information. "Open enrollment" is a bit strange--it's your big chance to guess what your healthcare utilization will be the following year.
Don't get me wrong, we are thankful to have access to high quality healthcare. I'm happy that said healthcare is subsidized by Mark's employer. But I seriously dislike paying for healthcare.
It's such an unfun purchase. I mean who runs home and says, "Wow check out these awesome flu shots I got for $100?" Nobody. Now if you go to Target and buy a bunch of worthless stuff like Halloween candy, maternity t-shirts and kitchen gear for that same 100 bucks, wow that is exciting.
From a true quality of life perspective our flu shots and all the immunizations Asher got on Monday should be thrilling to me. Just ask all the moms who had kids with measles, mumps, rubella, polio and more.
Still at the end of the year everyone gets more excited about buying that super new flat screen than writing the check for "physician and hospital services."
And that is why the healthcare question in this country won't be solved anytime soon.
Thursday, November 1, 2007
Open Enrollment
Posted by
Amy
at
9:52 PM