Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Christmas, Christmas

I'm all for simplification. I regularly cut corners and leave things out that seem over my limit. However, I think that part of the fun of Christmas is that it is a bit over the top of normal--extra cards in the mail, too many cookies, extra decorations around the house, electricity sapping lights, just lots in general.


Here are a few fun Christmas things that we've been doing that are more than just the usual.
Last Monday (12/10) the Canadian Pacific Holiday Train stopped in Lake City. The kids and I drove up and met Mark so we could see the lighted cars and hear the music. Frostbite nearly claimed Mark's toes through his thin work loafers, but with his full winter gear Holden couldn't get enough of it.



Today we made wrapping paper by stamping paint on brown paper with cookie cutters. Holden doesn't want me to use the paper for anything, he just wants to save it.

Every night from 5-11 p.m. our front yard is lit up by our flaming tree while our Christmas polar bear stands guard at the front door.

The nightly opening of the advent calendar door is welcomed by all of the kids. It's candy every night and Asher always wants his share.

The stockings are hanging on the mantle and Holden and Lili are counting down the days until Santa comes.