Sunday, September 9, 2007

Canine Conversations

Holden has been begging for a pet for quite some time. So far no pet though.

This pet idea has been growing on us. Over the past week Mark has been researching the types of dogs that work well with kids. After school on Friday I took the three kids down to our local Paws and Claws Humane Society. Holden was bouncing with excitement to see dogs. Asher just wanted to crawl over and attack the dogs. Lili was doing her best to stay away from the dogs. When the "adoption counselor" took us into a room to meet dogs, Lili started sobbing and crying "I don't want to get a dog. I don't want a dog." We left.

Yesterday Mark and Holden went back to look at the dogs. They found an 11 month old border collie mix, Vivian, they really liked. We all went back to meet the dog. Lili was more contained for this visit to Paws and Claws. She whimpered and said, "I'm not sure that I want a dog."

This morning during breakfast I heard the following:
Holden: "Lili, there are some nice things about a dog that you would love."
Lili: "But I don't like dogs that snap or bite."
Holden: "Only turtles and alligators snap."

We'll see where the pet conversations lead.