Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Miriam Sage

Our new little cutie has arrived!

On Saturday January 26, 2008 at 6:00 a.m. Miriam Sage popped out to join our family. She weighed in at 6 lbs. 15 oz. and 19 1/2 inches long.
I'd gone in for regular check-up on Friday morning. The doctor checked me and said that I was dilated 2-3 centimeters. After my appointment I had a couple of contractions so I decided to stop at the store on the way home to buy a car seat. Friday a snow storm was coming so Mark drove home to work from home during the afternoon just in case. For a couple hours on Friday evening I had contractions that I even bothered to time but then they went away.

I woke up at 2 a.m. with aching hands (carpal tunnel unfun) and contractions. I spent a couple of hours trying to decide if these were real or would just disappear. I have some fear of being sent home from the hospital with false labor.

Finally at 4 a.m. I woke Mark up and said that I thought we needed to do something. Mark called our friend Brooke, gathered up the kids in their pajamas and slippers, and off we went.

We arrived at Methodist Hospital a bit before 5 a.m. I went upstairs where the nurses checked me and I was 8 cm dilated. Once they got me hooked up to the monitors and set me up in the delivery room I was "complete." The nice anesthesia resident gave me a spinal. Really spinals aren't all that helpful--but at least there was no embarrassing screaming in the delivery room. After they broke my water and a good 3-4 pushes Miriam arrived all purple and newborn. The OB quickly cut the cord that was wrapped around her neck and handed her over.
Later on Saturday Mark brought the kids back to visit us at the hospital. Holden and Lili love having a little sister to hold.

Miriam and I came home from the hospital on Monday afternoon. Aside from the carpal tunnel that hasn't gone away yet, I feel great. Miriam is totally healthy and doing well. She's energetically eating and doing all the little newborn things just like she should.


Grandma Ashton is here for a week to help out.

It's exhausting having a new bundle of pink in the house.